[ltp] Newbie to the list

Charles H. Root, III linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
05 Dec 2001 22:29:23 -0500

Greetings,

I've got RH 7.2 running on my IBM ThinkPad 600E. I'm using a Linksys
802.11b card for my networking, Ximian Gnome, Star Office... The usual
sort of stuff. I love it.

Prior to installing RH 7.2, I fdisk'd the hard drive, wiped out all
traces of Microsoft and went for it...

Of course, my sound card doesn't work, which appears to be a normal
issue with LINUX and the ThinkPads based on what I've seen on the
various websites.

Being new to LINUX, I'm having some trouble getting the card to fire up.
I've looked at Ben Brillat's 600E LINUX website
(http://www.brillat.net/thinkpad600e/) but am afraid that some of what
he suggests is still confounding me.

- Do I still have to install the DOS/Win based ThinkPad Utility?
- How will it work since I zapped all traces of any Microsoft OS off the
  hard drive?
- And yes, I've never recompiled a kernel before.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has successfully gotten a 600E sound
card to work.

Best Regards,

Charles H. Root, III,
chazroot@chazroot.com