[ltp] Sound on an IBM Thinkpad 600E

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 07:04:43 -0500

I had a similar problem when I tried to reinstall ALSA after I'd upgraded my
kernel one time. As it turned out I solved it (as I recall) by deleting EVERY
TRACE of my ALSA installation from the machine. That included deleting the
build directories and pulling all the alsa-driver alsa-oss and alsa-utils etc
out of the original tarballs. Even "make distclean" apparently left SOMETHING
cached someplace that screwed up the build process enough that it wouldn't
work. I also never had any real luck with installing ALSA from rpms. Sadly a
lot of rpms don't seem to work well when installed "after the fact", esp if
you don't have exactly the stock distribution kernel etc. Such is the state
of Linux!