[ltp] USB Keyboard and Mouse Configuration...

David Roundy linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 8 Dec 2001 09:57:02 -0800

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 01:43:34PM -0500, James Miller wrote:

> So I'd like some handholding getting the USB perirpherials working. I
> assumed I would just modprobe usbkbd and usbmouse and then redirect to
> /dev/usb* but the devices aren't used.
>
> Is there a thinkpad bios problem here?

I doubt it.  My USB keyboard works fine with my thinkpad.

> What kernel arguments will select for the usbkeyboard? How do I switch
> them on the fly?

You don't need to give any kernel arguments, and don't have to switch
anything to use a USB keyboard on the fly.  The mouse probably requires a
change in your XF86Config-4 file, which would use /dev/input/mice as the
device.  I'm not so sure about the mouse, though.

> # I should probably recompile. I'm not sure if I included the general
> HID support or what but recommondations are appreciated.

Well, if your keyboard doesn't work, I'd assume you left out the HID
support from your kernel, and would definitely need to add that back in.

If you plug in the keyboard while in console mode, you should see a little
message informing you that it has been detected.  It should probably
mention both a hub being detected, and a HID.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/