[ltp] 770Z, which audio chipset ? (cs461x or cs4239)

Fabrice Bellet linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 21:13:49 +0100

Hello,

I'm wondering why it is not possible to talk to the native audio
chipset on my tp770Z, as referenced by lspci : Cirrus Logic
CS 4610/11

I asked on the alsa-devel mailing-list :
http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/12349/0/7276975/
and the answer is that I probably don't have the AC97 chip
in my laptop (the probe is failing both in ALSA and in the
regular kernel) :
http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/12349/0/7277022/

But, on the hardware compatibility matrix provided by
IBM (ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/pccbbs/mobiles/770hwsw.pdf),
the chipset used for both audio and midi is a CS4239.

So :
  . what chipset is exactly in the 770Z models ?
  . if the chipset is a CS4610/4611, why is the AC97
    probe failing ? Aren't both chips coupled ? And why
    is it not possible to use the native ALSA cs461x
    driver, instead of the driver dedicated to the CS4239 ?
  . what's the link between the CS461x and the CS4239 ?
    is the former only emulating the later ?

--
fabrice