[ltp] 770Z, which audio chipset ? (cs461x or cs4239)

Fabrice Bellet linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 00:07:16 +0100

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 02:21:56PM -0600, Rob Mayoff wrote:
> +---------- On Dec 9, Fabrice Bellet said:
> >   . what chipset is exactly in the 770Z models ?
>
> It has both a CS4239 and a CS4610. See
> <http://www5.pc.ibm.com/us/products.nsf/$wwwPartNumLookup/_95498AU>. The
> CS4239 is the important one.

Oh thanks. This page provides more accurate information. It makes
sense.

> I have used the kernel sound drivers for ages.  The cs4232 driver, as a
> loadable module, works.

Me too. The alsa cs4236 driver also handles smoothtly this CS4239
chipset. Except for the sequencer/midi abilities (see my previous
mail to the list). So I thought the driver for the CS4610 driver
could give me better results. But this one  (both in the official
kernel, and in the alsa sources) expects the presence of an AC97
chip, which cannot be probed in the 770Z. Probably because it doesn't
exist as suggested by Jaroslav Kysela, the alsa guru.

--
fabrice