[ltp] getting 2.4.16 to boot on a 600e

Myles Byrne linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
10 Dec 2001 20:38:51 +1100

I've searched the web and the archives and this is my last resort.....

I just downloaded kernel-2.4.16-6mdk and am attempting to install it, in
order to get sound and networking going on a IBM 600e. I have
re-complilied it a number of times now progressing from

request_module[ide] : root fs not mounted

I then installed modular support for all the ide devices supported in
the kernel (except the RAID ones). And how i get this (i assume its
better than the previous error but have recompiled twice tweaking a few
different things and cant get past it)

request_module[block-major-3] : Root fs not mounted
Kernel Panic : VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:07

All i need is a quick shove in the right direction... anything at all.

PS. The old kernel still boots so im sure nothing's corrupted