[ltp] getting 2.4.16 to boot on a 600e

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 05:17:24 -0500

Actually I think ALL recent Redhat based distros use an initial ramdisk. I
know Mandrake seems to. Probably mostly because it makes things a lot easier
when you have a distribution that people might mount in a variety of ways,
then you don't need a dozen different kernel images. Anyway, you probably DO
need the "initialrd" support, and you definitely need whatever file system
you boot off of compiled directly into to the kernel, as well as all the IDE
and/or SCSI modules you would need to interface to that device.

Past that you should make sure lilo was rerun after you installed. Generally
you would get the old "li" error (the letters "li" just appear on your
console if you don't redo lilo). It is possible you are trying to use kernel
framebuffer support and either you are trying to use a video resolution for
text mode that your chip doesn't support or something along those lines. Try
making sure that your kernel uses a vanilla text console. "console
drivers->vga text console"

Also make sure you have "virtual terminal" and "support for console on
virtual terminal" turned on.