[ltp] Wireless Networking

Cameron Hooper linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 23:11:32 -0500 (EST)

On 12 Dec 2001, Thomas Hood wrote:

> On Wed, 2001-12-12 at 20:54, Cameron Hooper wrote:
> > At home I have internet access via a cable modem which plugs into a
> > Linksys etherfast wireless AP + cable/dsl router. I have wireless
> > connectivity under windows.
>
> 802.11b needs to be configured.  You need to set up
> SSIDs and perhaps WEP keys, etc.

Thanks for the reply.

I suspected this was the case. The trouble is I don't know how to set
these these things up. I know the SSID (I don't think I need WEP keys).
I've tried to configure this by editing /etc/pcmcia/config but I'm clearly
not doing it properly. I get the feeling I really shouldn't be messing
with this file anyway. I've also tried to alter /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opt
but I really don't understand what I'm doing.

Does anyone know of a good tutorial aimed at the totally clueless (and I
mean *totally* clueless) pcmcia/wireless newbie? Something that could lead
me step by step through this process.

Thanks,

Cameron