[ltp] Wireless Networking

Rob Mayoff linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
13 Dec 2001 04:09:04 -0600

+---------- On Dec 13, Martin West said:
> I have the same problem. Works ok on windows me but not on MDK 8.1, I have
> been playing with the wireless.props file. The card comes up and is visible
> but does not connect.

What does iwconfig say? If you have an AP, then iwconfig's output should
say "Mode:Managed" and should tell you the hardware 802.11 address
of your AP. If it says "Mode:Ad-Hoc", then you have to change the
configuration; the mode cannot be autodetected.

If iwconfig doesn't print the right address for your AP, then you may
need to try playing with the essid, freq, channel, and rate parameters
to iwconfig. Normally the freq, channel, and rate should be autodetected
(actually only one of channel and freq should be used; they are
different ways of saying the same thing), but perhaps something is
keeping that from happening.

You should also make sure that your AP isn't using WEP if you haven't
set the WEP key on your notebook.