[ltp] Panel in RedHat?

Jean-Philippe Jung (Home) linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 14:31:13 -0500

Hi,

Thanks, Charles. The problem now is: I get panel, but if I logout then
login, panel does not auto-start, I have to repeat your manupilation. Is
there a startup file I have to correct to get panel starting when I logon?

I am using Gnome. I don't want Ximian Gnome, too heavy for my P-II / 96 MB
RAM Thinkpad. Same reason to stick to RH 7.1 and not go with 7.2: Nautilus
is killing the machine. I tried enough Linux distro and versions until I
find the best performance / feature rich compromise for me, and I like
Redhat best, and I saw the performance hit between 7.1 and 7.2. So 7.1 with
latest fixes (as per RH erratas pages) (and no, I am not yet good at linux
to apply patches, I used the update agent :-)

I hate Web integration into the GUI on Windows, I still hate it on Linux...
I don't know if you can disable Nautilus or switch back to Midnight
Commander in RH 7.2. It would definitly be nice to have to option to choose
at setup and still support both file managers.

For people dual booting Windows NT / 2000 / XP with Linux, you can check
Gilles Vollant's site for his Bootpart free utility: it allows you to create
an entry for a linux partition into the NT boot loader menu. Check at
http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm

Regards,

JP