[ltp] Still Panel Problems

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 11:55:18 -0500

Well, I'm not a Gnome expert, but...

normally when X starts, the script /usr/bin/X11/startx is invoked, which in
turn calls xinit (which is yet another shell script), which calls a LOT of
other startup scripts, see 'man startx' and 'man xinit', but it seems at
least on my Mandrake box that eventually it all boils down to a call to the
script /usr/bin/startgnome, you should be able to verify this by typing the
command

chksession -x=Gnome (or -x=KDE etc) which returns the command line used to
invoke whichever window manager you are using (or generally another wrapper
script that starts your toolbars etc). Sadly in my system startgnome pretty
much just calls /usr/bin/gnome-session, which is a binary. Reading the man
page for gnome-session indicates that it uses the files ~/.gnome/session and
~/.gnome/session-options files. You might try just deleting ~/.gnome/session
as that indicates gnome will fall back to a default file.

My guess is the most likely scenario is that your ~/.gnome/session file is
corrupt somehow, maybe due to a crash of the desktop or your system. Hope
that is of some help to you. This is some pretty twisted stuff... ugh!