[ltp] 600E sound problem (CS4232)

Aleksandar B. Samardzic linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 23:13:24 +0100

I have Thinkpad 600E (with CS4232 sound card) dual booting between RedHat
Linux 7.2 and Windows 2000 Professional. Sound worked fine under Linux using
following settings to cs4232 kernel module:
  io = 0x530
  irq = 5
  dma = 1
  dma2 = 0
  mpuio = 0x330
  mpuirq = 9

Today I've upgraded Windows 2000 to Windows XP, that in turn messed up some of
my hardware settings, actually settings for Mwave modem and above sound
card. So I had to change back some settings using Windows XP device manager -
I'm pretty sure that settings are now reverted back to their original
values. Modem is now again working fine under Linux but sound card is
not. When I try to load cs4232 module using command:
  /sbin/modprobe cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9
following is reported:
/lib/modules/2.4.16/kernel/drivers/sound/cs4232.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
/lib/modules/2.4.16/kernel/drivers/sound/cs4232.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.16/kernel/drivers/sound/cs4232.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.16/kernel/drivers/sound/cs4232.o: insmod cs4232 failed

I've tried also various irq, io and dma combinations with and without changing
settings under Windows XP (also, besides through Windows XP device manager,
I've tried to change settings through Thinkpad control application PS2.EXE),
but without any success.  I've tried also to setup audio under Linux using
sndconfig (to load sound modules I was simply executing above modprobe command
along with several alike to load sound, uart401 and ad1848 modules in my init
scripts and wasn't using modules.conf file, so I thought this may be right
time to have sndconfig to configure modules.conf properly for me), however
after launching snconfig (with --noprobe argument) and selecting "Crystal
CS423x sound chip" entry from list, when test sample should be played, an
error ("modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-0") is reported.

Now I'm running out of ideas what to try next. Any help here.

Thanks.