[ltp] 600E sound problem (CS4232)

Aleksandar B. Samardzic linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 10:34:52 +0100

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 06:04:22PM -0500, Thomas Hood wrote:
> On Fri, 2001-12-14 at 17:13, Aleksandar B. Samardzic wrote:
> > Sound worked fine under Linux using
> > following settings to cs4232 kernel module:
> >   io = 0x530
> >   irq = 5
> >   dma = 1
> >   dma2 = 0
> >   mpuio = 0x330
> >   mpuirq = 9
> >
> > When I try to load cs4232 module using command:
> >   /sbin/modprobe cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9
> > following is reported:
> > /lib/modules/2.4.16/kernel/drivers/sound/cs4232.o: init_module: No such device
>
> Use lspnp and setpnp to debug this.  For info about these
> utilities, see the description in the "Resource configuration
> programs" section of the tpctl home page:
>     http://tpctl.sourceforge.net/tpctlhome.htm
>
> To use lspnp and setpnp you need to apply this kernel patch:
>     http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/pnpbios.html
> and you need to get the lspnp and setpnp programs.  In Debian
> they are distributed in the pcmcia-cs package.  I don't know
> about RedHat.  You can compile them from the pcmcia-cs source
> tarball too.
>
> (If you don't want to apply the kernel patch, you can compile
> the pnpbios driver as a module from the pcmcia-cs sources too.
> However, the patch is a newer and less buggy driver.  The
> driver will probably go into Linux 2.4 someday soon.)
>
> For more info about configuring sound on tp600:
>    http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm#secsnd
>
> --
> Thomas

I've got it working now, thank you very much. I had to apply kernel patch
first and then recompile kernel. RedHat 7.2 contains lspnp and, oddly enough,
man page for setpnp, but no setpnp binary. So I used lspnp to list PnP
assigned resources and I was able to see that resources for my
audio-controlled are disabled. So I had to download pcmcia-cs, compile it
(make all) and then install setpnp only (cd debug-tools; make install). Then I
used setpnp to turn on my audio controller (0e is number assigned to this
controller as listed by lspnp):
  setpnp 0e on
After that, cs4232 module is loading fine.

I hope PnP BIOS patch will be merged in kernel soon and RedHat will
incorporate setpnp into their version of pcmcia-cs package. It is always pain
when something that should be included by default is not included (especially
regarding kernel).

Now, while problem solved, still there are issues that I don't understand:
1. What could be disabling my audio-controller during Linux boot process (when
I list PnP resources by lspnp -b -v, everything is enabled)? If that matters,
I'm using GRUB boot loader.
2. Sndconfig is still (even after turning audio-controller on) reporting
"modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-0" error. I guess then I'll should
add manually appropriate lines to modules.conf for my audio-controller. So
what these lines should look like if kernel/OSS driver used?

Thanks.