[ltp] X22 issues

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 09:02:50 -0500

On Sunday 16 December 2001 17:53, you wrote:
> +---------- On Dec 16, Erin Gilchrist said:
> > It's been recommended to me that I use VMware (www.vmware.com)  to run a
> > virtual copy of Linux on a Windows machine instead of doing the dual
> > boot.
>
> Actually you should run a virtual copy of Windows on a Linux machine.
> This is the linux-thinkpad list, you know. :)

I have had very good luck running VMware on Linux and running various flavors
of Windows virtually. Performance is good. As of VMware Workstation 2.0.4 DRI
is supported, so you can actually get a pretty good level of video
performance in fullscreen mode. I don't have 3.x, but I understand there is
full support for USB in the VM, etc.

One nice advantage to using linux as the host OS is its great flexibility
with networking. I can set up a "host-only" mode virtual lan, then using
iptables do NAT between that and the real outside lan, or even set up various
configurations of virtual networks with multiple windows (or linux etc) boxes
on seperate VMs. Its great for developing network services or testing things
like LDAP, DHCP, etc. I can just make a few boxes and test out things. ;o).

You could do a lot of that with Win2k as the host OS, but its networking is
NOT as flexible as linux.

> > Is there some reason that re-booting between the OS's would be better?
>
> Whichever OS is running in the virtual machine does not have direct
> hardware access. So you might have some hardware that you can't use, or
> can't use fully, under the virtualized OS.
>
> If you're going to use VMware, then running Windows as the real OS might
> have the advantage that there are probably Windows drivers for all of
> your hardware, but there might not be Linux drivers for all of your
> hardware.

Well, for thinkpads that doesn't seem to be a problem, generally. I think so
far I haven't found anything I can hook up to or that is part of my A20p that
Linux won't support, and in some cases the flexibility of linux lets you do
stuff that you would need special software to do in MS land.