[ltp] X22 issues

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 09:08:01 -0500

On Sunday 16 December 2001 17:58, you wrote:
> You'll take a performance hit running the other OS in emulation so it
> depends on the types of applications you intend to use in both OS's when
> you have both fired upo; IOW- if they are low resource intensive
> applications, you probably will be happy.

Sure, but memory is dirt cheap. I just went out and got a 256 meg SO DIMM.
With 384 megs of useable ram on my machine Win2k can be allocated 128 megs,
which makes it very happy and it will run anything, and linux still has
adequate resources for its needs. My experience on the A20p (admittedly a
high-end laptop!) is that when I go to full screen with windows, you can't
really tell you're running it under VMWare.

The only thing that works poorly is sound. I use KDE, and that means VMware
is running sound through artsd. The result is not spectacular... HOWEVER,
other than that its pretty cool.