[ltp] thinkpad 760el dead

Guy Yasko linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
18 Dec 2001 07:31:50 +0900

    James> Guy: I wonder what that cat did.  I've split Coke on a
    James> laptop keyboard and was able to clean it up so the machine
    James> could be used again.  I think that George could buy a new
    James> keyboard and the machine would start working again.

in our case, the machine was dead dead dead.

the cat piss got onto the motherboard before i could turn the machine
upside down -- a matter of a couple of seconds.  this produced that
wonderful burnt electronics smell -- mixed with cat piss, of course.
when i took the thing apart to recover the hard disk, i could see
burns on the mobo from where it had shorted, mostly around the area
where the power adapter went in.

this happened to an apple powerbook.  i don't know if thinkpads would
be any more or less susceptible to this sort of thing.  some more than
others i suppose.  however, i would guess that there are more than
enough holes on most laptops for a spilled or squirted liquid to short
the motherboard.

g.y.

--
Guy Yasko -- gyasko@mx7.ttcn.ne.jp

I wish I was on a Cincinnati street corner holding a clean dog!