[ltp] New to Thinkpad - modem help.

Derek Harding linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:43:49 +0000

Hi folks.

I have a 600E with SuSE 7.3 up and running, and a pcmcia Xircom ethernet card
which also runs fine.

The SuSE dist. includes mwavem but it doesn't want to run at all. I
downloaded the source and it compiles (with errors but they don't seem
significant) but that, too, fails to run the modem. I've read the docs and
need to be able to use a modem. When I put my old pcmcia modem in, everything
locks up until I remove it.

Question 1 - can anyone help re HOWTO make the onboard modem run. How do I
identify that it is there and what sort it is?

Question 2 - can I disable the onboard modem so that the pcmcia one will be
recognised? How?

Question 3 - I have no paperwork. I can get at a bios test by pressing F10 on
startup but is there any way to get at the bios settings?

Please, I could do with pointers where to look if these matters are already
documented rather than simply "RTFM".

Thanks

--
Best wishes, Derek Harding