[ltp] X22 issues

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 09:54:05 -0500

On Tuesday 18 December 2001 06:13, you wrote:
> On Monday 17 December 2001 16:58, you wrote:
> > +---------- On Dec 17, Tod Harter said:
> > > Well, for thinkpads that doesn't seem to be a problem, generally. I
> > > think so far I haven't found anything I can hook up to or that is part
> > > of my A20p that Linux won't support, and in some cases the flexibility
> > > of linux lets you do stuff that you would need special software to do
> > > in MS land.
> >
> > What about USB?  Can Windows under VMware see USB devices?  I have a
> > USB digital camera and a USB scanner and neither has Linux drivers.
>
> The scanner will possibly be OK but you can forget the webcam.
> My webcam works find under Linux (Phillip PCVC680K) but although
> I can install the drivers under Windows in a VM, accessing the camera
> causes VMWare to quit!
>
> To be fair to them, VMWare say that video cameras and other 'streaming
> devices' don't work on USB.

Thats too bad, but not really entirely hard to believe. The I/O rates are
pretty high and probably timing is moderately critical with USB. Ethernet is
easy because you can always tolerate delays in sending packets, not so with
other devices. I expect 115.2k serial might be a bit iffy as well...

Webcams are pretty darn well supported in Linux though. I just got a Sony
Cyber-shot DSC-P1 the other day. I guess you wouldn't quite call that a
"webcam" but it works great with Linux USB! You may well find you can simply
do your capturing in Linux.