[ltp] Happy 770E user with a fan question.

Martin Sanborn linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 11:52:16 -0600

On Tuesday 18 December 2001 11:38 am, you wrote:
> My question for those of you out there with similar boxes is, does
> your Fan stay on, or ever turn back on?  When I power on my system the
> fan comes up - like it's testing itself.  However, I've *never*
> noticed it turning itself back on otherwise.  Now I do live in Canada,
> and it is Winter time, but it's not *that* much colder when I'm
> indoors.  :)

In regards to the Thinkpad 600, the original BIOS turned the fan on very
rarely and had the exact behavior you are describing. It made the machine
very warm, but did not cause any damage. I would say that 95% of the time, my
fan was not on, even under heavy load. I suppose the motivation was battery
life. IBM later updated the fan control in a newer BIOS to have it on more
often because some owners complained. It may be the same for the 770E. Sorry,
I don't know the exactly BIOS version that apply for the Thinkpad 600.

Marty Sanborn

--
| Martin Sanborn - Dept. of Chemical Engineering - Northwestern University |
| m-sanborn@nwu.edu - (847)467-1653 - http://zeolites.cqe.nwu.edu/marty |