[ltp] DVD playback on T21?

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 16:41:39 -0500

On Tuesday 18 December 2001 15:20, you wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 01:59:15PM -0500, Tod Harter wrote:
> > Thats odd. Could be a bug in support for the Savage...
>
> Actually, I had a colourdepth issue with Xv and my X21 (ATI RagePro)
> while trying to view large (DVD) movies.
>
> In 24bpp mode all the players quit saying Xv hadn't enough resources.
> Turning off the double buffering attribute in Xv helped (xvattr), but
> then the playback was not as smooth.
>
> If I start up X in 16bpp mode, double buffering DVDs works.

Wierd. I don't know much about configuring Xv, but I don't see any directive
that would appear to be disabling double buffering for me, and 24bpp seems to
work fine. I played all of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" the other night,
it seemed to play fine (though I suspect that xine has some resource
allocation issues because it did get a bit choppy later in the movie, which I
see no reason for). Anyway, one would think your machine would work as well
as mine. I am assuming the T22 has 16 megs of video memory. The A20p uses the
rage mobility chipset, but that is the same r128 driver, isn't it? Maybe it
has something to do with apertures. Does MTTR work on your machine? My
XF86Config specifies AGPMode 1. Perhaps there is some sort of subtle issue
there with accessing video memory. Sometimes there can be some pretty subtle
interactions between settings.