[ltp] Problem connecting to ISP with TP600

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 16:46:59 -0500

On Tuesday 18 December 2001 15:30, you wrote:
> [...]

Uhhhh, what do you get if you do /sbin/ifconfig (with no arguments), you
should have a section like

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:10459494 (9.9 Mb)  TX bytes:10459494 (9.9 Mb)

and you should also have an entry like

127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain   localhost

in /etc/hosts

lack of those two things could definitely cause problems. Also you might want
to try "ifdown lo" and "ifup lo", those commands SHOULD tear down and bring
up the lo interface, respectively. Lack of a local loopback interface, esp if
no other interface is up can cause some subtle and ugly problems. For
instance I'd be surprised if X would work properly (if at all) without a
loopback interface.