[ltp] DVD playback on T21?

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 18:53:18 -0500

Well, at least on Mandrake X is configured so it dumps a log to
/var/log/XFree86.n.log (where n is display number, console would of course be
0 most of the time). That gives you an exhaustive rendition of everything
XFree does when it starts. Its pretty darn verbose. You can also pass
arguments to the x server on the startx command line, if I remember correctly
you put a dash before the args you want passed to xinit, which in turn
forwards them to the xserver itself, like "startx - -bpp=16" would force
16bpp mode even when you have your default config set for 24bpp in the
XF86Config file. That allows you to do some easier experimentation at least.
Its hard to say exactly what causes the resource problem, but I can
definitely say that xine works fine on my A20p and it seems not to matter
what size of video I'm playing (at least I know the DvD I tried last night
was displaying in letterbox format and seemed fine even when I maxed the
window size).

On the other hand I have had some video's crash. xine at least is pretty
inelegant about its error handling. Dunno about Ogle, though xmovie seems to
at least put up a nice message. If xine doesn't like the codec you're trying
to use it either locks up, dies, or sometimes displays garbage. It also can
get cranky if you try to expand the video window on some streams (like AVI
especially). Probably bugs in output libraries.