[ltp] PnP Bios patch help

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:22:53 -0500

What I hate is the fact that most patches assume you are applying them from
OUTSIDE the source tree for the project. This -p0 vs -p1 thing is THE place
where every neophyte gets tripped up, 100% chance. I have always thought
Larry Wall should have made the '-p1' behaviour be the default, thus
encouraging people to locate their patches INSIDE the source tree they were
patching...

> > The Kernel-Howto gives patch -p0 <[patch-file-name]
> > And I was presented with a prompt asking me which file to patch. With
> > patch -p1, no questions and it works.
>
> FYI, the -p[no.] flag controls the directory level to patch from, more or
> less. If you look at the patch file (which I assume is
> pnpbios.patch_latest, or something similar), you'll see that the path for
> the files is something like
>
> > Now I can fight with make xconfig (what holidays are made for...)

Well, that should be really easy, as Marty says. The default settings for
most things build you a pretty sane kernel, though there are often some
useful features they don't compile in. What I always do is I keep a copy of
my old config.h file, then diff it with the one for the new kernel version
I'm making. tkdiff is execellent for this by the way. That gives you a pretty
instant view of what the variations are between your old running kernel
config and the new one, and you can usually just merge the 2 with tkdiff.
Beware though of distribution supplied kernel sources, they rarely match the
actual running kernels :(.