[ltp] A21p won't boot

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 18:00:13 -0500

Well, the standard trouble-shooting procedure would be to first remove the
battery and AC power, let it sit for 5 mins, see what happens then. Next I'd
check and make sure the hardware is undamaged and correctly connected, check
for loose SODIMMS, hard drives, etc. Remove anything you can from Ultrabay
slots, PCMCIA, etc. If you have another similar machine you could try
swapping things between them. If all that fails to have any positive effect,
then you may have a more serious problem. You could try cracking it open to
see what you can find out. There could be a loose cable/connector or chip.
Try reseating any socketted chips, etc. As a user thats about as far as you
can go in debugging, but definitely try to boot off various devices, and get
into the bios setup screen if you can, maybe something in there will give you
a clue (or maybe just resetting the bios to defaults will help).