[ltp] Network Card trouble

Adam Benjamin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 25 Dec 2001 19:24:58 -0500 (EST)

> But once the computer loads, how do I get the network card to function.  The
> PCMCIA device is working, AND it recognized the network card as a cardbus, I
> just don't know how to get the Network Card to function.  (In rally bad
> laymen terms, how do I turn the card on?)  :)

I missed your original post, so I don't know what you do and don't
know.  I'm running RedHat (and this information worked for 6.x and now
7.x distributions) and all I had to do was set up the networking
information for the interface.  ie. I put in the card in the slot and
eth0 comes up.

To do that I had to configure /etc/sysconfig/network, and
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.  Actually, I think those
were set up for me during the install (although I have examples of how
to do this manually - so I often do it that way.)  If you're running a
similar distribution, try running netconf and/or netconfig and see if
those will do what you need.  Otherwise, drop me an email and I'll
pass along my two files (I think that's all you'd need - at least
under RedHat) and then once they're in place (or configured) do an
"ifup eth0" to bring up the interfaces.  (Or try configuring them
manually doing ifconfig - at least for a static IP.)

Good luck.  Have fun,

Adam Benjamin