[ltp] Problem connecting to ISP with TP600

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 10:49:35 -0500

> lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
>           inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
>           UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
>           RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>           RX bytes:560 (560.0 b)  TX bytes:560 (560.0 b)

Bernard, this is perfectly fine and normal. When you said "packet size" I
assumed you meant the "MTU" setting (which is actually literally the maximum
size of packet you will send and can't ever be less that I believe something
like 56 bytes or so). "RX packets 8" in your status just means you have sent
8 packets since you brought up the interface. There's nothing wrong with
that, though its worth noting that RX packets and TX packets on the loopback
interface should ALWAYS be the same number, and the same with RX and TX
bytes. Thats the whole idea of the loopback device, it just echos back to
your machine whatever gets sent out on it.

Basically loopback is just there so that TCP/IP will function on a machine
with no other network interfaces. IP is so deeply embedded in Linux that
major parts of the system can't function if they can't access an IP interface
(Like X Windows), so for simplicity every Unix machine has a loopback
interface, even if its not doing any networking. Otherwise every program you
might run on a standalone machine would need to have extra code to deal with
not having TCP/IP.

Anyway I think in your case this is a side-issue. Your problem seems to be
centered on the ppp interfaces...