[ltp] suspend-resume problem (A20p)

Vivek linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 27 Dec 2001 15:30:28 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Tod Harter wrote:

> There were times when resume didn't seem to be eager to happen, and a few
> times my machine did lock up when it resumed, so it wasn't 100% reliable,
> though it never showed the symptoms you're having. Sometimes just hitting the
[cut]
> when nothing else would. Now that I have Mdk 8.1 things seem more reliable,
> so its even possible I partly broke something with my custom config.

I doubt it's config related, as I still have the problem when I revert to my
known-to-have-worked config. Maybe the bios/cmos has gotten itself into a
funny state, or something. I'll try leaving w/o battery or mains for a day
or so, see if it gets any better. And mdk patch their kernel, so they may
well have apm-magic patches as well as their psaux-killer patch.

> Seems weird to me that hibernate would get fouled after a certain amount of
> time though... The only thing I can think of that would be causing that
> problem would be something to do with clock skew. Since hibernation is pretty
> much a BIOS driven thing I don't think the OS itself ever really is aware

It's definitely made worse by X - if I hibernate from X, it locks up
immediately after restoring the display. If I C-M-F1 to the console and
hibernate from there, it comes back Ok, but locks up hard the next time I
enter (or sometimes the next time I leave and enter) X. However, if I leave
it for long enough, it locks anyway, regardless of X.

> something to do with job scheduling. Maybe cron gets cranky? I'd check my
> system logs after a failure like that and see if perhaps there's a message in
> there relating to time in some fashion.

There are no relevant system logs, the machine just locks hard, nothing gets
written to disk, at any rate, and I have a long and boring fsck to sit
through.

> These are the kernel config settings that Mandrake has in its stock 2.4.8
> kernel config that might relate to APM and suspend/resume. Perhaps this will
> be of some assistance.

Yeah, I'll have a look, thanks.... I think I'll convert my filesystems over
to ext3 so I don't have to sit through such a bloody tedious fsck when
analysing problems like this...

--
You are in a maze of twisty X resources, all like.