[ltp] TP560X questions

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 27 Dec 2001 10:37:18 -0500

> Pradeep Rao writes:
>  > (1) The machine hangs everytime it resumes from a suspend-to-disk or
>  > hibernation. How do I avoid this ? I read somewhere that I need to
>  > downgrade my BIOS. Can this be avoided ?
>  > I run RedHat 7.1 kernel 2.4.2-2
>
> Someone mentioned the kernel parameters, and these are important,
> but I think they're set OK by default on redhat 7.1, IIRC.
>
> The thing I had to do to get it all working was to remove
> /etc/sysconfig/apm-scripts/apmscript (or just rename it to
> something else).  This script gets run when the system
> suspends/resumes, and as far as i can see it is entirely harmful
> on thinkpads.

Hmmmm, not really. There are many useful things that script does. For example
it can shut down and reinitialize sound (which if you use ALSA on the A20p
seems to be a must). OTOH I had to tell it NOT to shut down my network
interface, as that caused problems, but if you read the script and tweak it a
bit you can get some good use out of it. You can also put other interesting
things in there, like commands to get around problems with disk drives not
spinning down, or whatever.  Basically it just runs when you switch APM
states, nothing very complex about it.

As a total aside, I am strongly of the opinion that the run level system
should have been used for power management. Seems to me that would simplify
things significantly, just use something like runlevel 4 (totally unused in
linux generally) as the "go to suspend state" run level, then you could
simply use the standard /etc/rc.d structure that already exists to let you
tweak all your services exactly the way you want for suspend/resume. I fail
to understand why people insist on inventing new subsystems when there are
perfectly good ones that already exist...