[ltp] HELP..Installing RedHad 7.2 on a Thinkpad 600E

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 27 Dec 2001 12:53:39 -0500

I'm saying that upgrades in general are not 100% reliable, and personally I
always reinstall. Doing a piecewise upgrade on your own is as I said likely
to be a really annoying process at best... I haven't played with RH in a
while, but I assume they have a tool somewhere to give you a list of
installed packages, compare it to a list somewhere else, and do an rpm
--upgrade on any that are newer. The question then becomes whether or not
thats enough. Many subsystems create files here and there that aren't
strictly speaking managed by any package. Also the specific order of package
installation can be fairly significant, and you can't guarantee that you can
get that right. Some packages even behave differently depending on the
presence/absence or versions of dependencies.

Overall your usually best off reinstalling. If you have stuff on your machine
you want to keep you can move it to /home (if thats a seperate partition) and
just choose not to reformat that partition, in which case your files will be
there. Most of the time thats the best strategy I think.