[ltp] A21p won't boot

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 27 Dec 2001 17:55:35 -0500

> On Monday 24 December 2001 08:00, you wrote:
> > On Mon, 24 Dec 2001, Justin C wrote:
> > > I shut down my ThinkPad at 1.30 this morning and it seemed to shut down
> > > fine (not that I really watch what is going on). I turned it on this
> > > morning and it only got as far as the IBM splash screen, the one that
> > > says 'Press F1 for IBM Bios Setup Utility' (if you have it enabled). It
> > > won't POST, it won't do anything else.
> >
> > Go into the bios and see what bootable devices are selected. Also, I have
> > experienced the weird situation where the thinkpad wouldn't boot at all
> > unless I removed the battery, but since you've got a bios prompt, I don't
> > think that's what you're experiencing. You might also try a boot disk.
>
> I can't, it won't get that far. It won't do anything other than splash the
> IBM logo and the F1 bios prompt onto the screen, I can hit F1 until I'm
> blue but nothing will happen because it won't move to the next stage - the
> POST.

Usually thats a symptom of bad ram, or bad motherboard, BUT its possible esp
in laptops for a short in a peripheral to cause problems like that. However
the fact that it puts up the splash screen says to me that its able to
execute the bios entrypoint, so the processor is initializing and talking to
the bios and the video subsystem. My experience is that at that point if you
have NO useable RAM in your machine, then the system gets hung because it
can't run POST. Desktop machines will beep at that point. Definitely try
removing and reinserting RAM (if your machine makes it reasonably
accessible). Sometimes DIMMS get loose or slightly corroded. You can clean
the contacts on them with a pencil eraser and then replace them.