[ltp] suspend-resume problem (A20p)

David Roundy linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 08:52:41 -0800

On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 12:39:29PM -0500, Tod Harter wrote:

> > It's definitely made worse by X - if I hibernate from X, it locks up
> > immediately after restoring the display. If I C-M-F1 to the console and
> > hibernate from there, it comes back Ok, but locks up hard the next time
> > I enter (or sometimes the next time I leave and enter) X. However, if I
> > leave it for long enough, it locks anyway, regardless of X.
>
> XFree and its video drivers are infamously unfriendly to hibernation... I
> guess others would have to comment as to if they have ever gotten a
> hibernate from X to work. I've been told several times its just not
> possible.

Well, I have no problem at all with hibernating from X on my X21.  I didn't
do anything tricky, so I have no idea why it works (or why it wouldn't
work), but I do it all the time.  I've heard that USB mice cause problems
with hibernation and X, though...
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/