[ltp] wireless problem on X21

Heather Guse linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 17:12:12 -0600

Check a couple of things first...I don't believe upgrading will solve it.  I have RedHat 7.1 on a T22 with a Silver card (Orinoco)...as a newbie it took me awhile to figure out what was going on.

try manually starting it using the iwconfig command
Running iwconfig alone will probably bring up:
lo        no wireless extensions.

try running the commands below in this order with your net info replacing the stars.

iwconfig eth1 essid **** or ANY
iwconfig eth1 mode managed	#if you are not using ad-hoc
iwconfig eth1 key *************

at last run:
ifup eth1

it sounds like your wavelan_cs drv is loading.

If these commands work you will want to make changes in the /etc/pcmcia directory specifically to the wireless.opts file.

The biggest problem I ran into was thinking I was going crazy when i would enter in the commands and it still wouldn't work.  It turns out I was not putting in the proper format for the encryption key.

To see if you are even associating with your AP or RG(Lucent):
iwconfig eth1

Hope this helps

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 12:46:43PM -0800, Bill Feiereisen had written: