[ltp] TP 770X battery recharge problems

Harry Mangalam linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 08 Feb 2001 10:12:22 -0800

Hi All,

I had the 770 expensive battery problem, went thru the gymnastics of trying re-juvenate it, failed to do so, and went out and bought a new battery.  The new one initially seemed to work OK after an
initial 1 day charge-up, but the I left it in the laptop, same as the other one for about a week (the LCD indicator said it had charged to 95-99% (unlike the original, which charged to 100% and stayed
there) lasted only about a week, giving the same problems as the old one when I unplugged it to move it to another room (building a large chunk of code at the time and when it shut down 15 secs later,
what a fscking mess!).

The place from which I bought it (laptops for less) instantly agreed to replace it (and even paid for the shipping back), but I'm wondering if this could also be a problem with the laptop.

The old battery is currently back in the laptop as it refused to boot without it, even on AC (once it has booted, the battery can be removed).  And the keyboard LCD indicator indicates a blinking 0%
with all the 4 cells in the battery blank (and no charging arrow).  the battery LED on the outside of the case is blinking green.

If the battery is removed briefly and then re-inserted, the charging arrow appears briefly and then blanks.   Since this IS the old batttery, I'm not too surprised, but I'm wondering if the charging
system willl overcharge a new battery, leading to another failure as soon as the new gets back.

Has anyone had such a problem with the charging subsystem with the 770x?

A scan of IBM's support indicates that they might have heard of this..

--
Cheers,
Harry

Harry J Mangalam -- (949) 856 2847 (v&f) -- hjm@ncgr.org || mangalam@home.com