[ltp] TP 770X battery recharge problems

Bruce Cowan linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 10:36:39 -0800

Something isn't right if the 770X won't boot on AC with no batter in it.
I do that all the time, to avoid doing a lot of partial discharge/charge
cycles on the battery, and I have no problem at all booting with no
battery in the machine.

Recently I did a BIOS upgrade on my 770X and it updated the battery
management software in the system controller (or something like that)
and now I notice that battery charging behavior is different - the
machine won't charge the battery as long as it has 95% or more charge.
I'm not sure if it will charge a battery to 100% once it starts charging
but I'll put my junk battery in and flatten it and try and report back.
This BIOS upgrade is not a new thing - it came out around the time of
Windows 2000 - I just put it in because my battery died and I noticed
something on the IBM site which said that the upgrade would fix battery
charging so as to lengthen battery life.

Bruce