[ltp] annoying beep

Justin Catterall linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 20:04:22 +0000

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 11:29:37AM -0800, you wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I recently installed Debian 2.2 on my TP600 and I am trying to find a way
> to either get rid of or tone down the volume of the beep that happens when
> I am using an editor at the console (when I try to go past the beginning or
> end of a file) and when I am using tab completion and there is not a match.
> I tried looking through the console config files without any luck. Normally
> this does not bother me, but it is very loud on the thinkpad.

Try looking for 'visual bell' or 'visible bell' can't remember which. I'm
going to have to do something about this one soon too, it is really
starting to get on my ****. I'm not certain this will do what you want
but I know it uses a screen flash for the hard of hearing... whether it
can turn off the bell I don't know (AIUI the reason it is called a bell
goes back to the days of typewriters).

At least with a desktop it's easy enough to disconnect the speaker.
--
Justin C by the sea.