[ltp] TP 770X battery recharge problems

Bill Mair linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 08 Feb 2001 22:10:48 +0100

Bruce Cowan wrote:

> Something isn't right if the 770X won't boot on AC with no batter in it.
> I do that all the time, to avoid doing a lot of partial discharge/charge
> cycles on the battery, and I have no problem at all booting with no
> battery in the machine.

Neither do I. The behavior does sound suspicious.

> Recently I did a BIOS upgrade on my 770X and it updated the battery
> management software in the system controller (or something like that)
> and now I notice that battery charging behavior is different - the
> machine won't charge the battery as long as it has 95% or more charge.

Why didn't this happen sooner !??!!

BTW IBM lists this as a "FIX". Does that mean that I can get a new battery
based on the fact that IBM had defective firmware ??

> I'm not sure if it will charge a battery to 100% once it starts charging
> but I'll put my junk battery in and flatten it and try and report back.

Seeing as I just spent ~250 dollars on an IBM original replacement I am
very interested in the results.

> This BIOS upgrade is not a new thing - it came out around the time of
> Windows 2000 - I just put it in because my battery died and I noticed
> something on the IBM site which said that the upgrade would fix battery
> charging so as to lengthen battery life.
>
> Bruce

This is a MUST HAVE for ALL 770X users, especially when one considers the
cost of a replacement.

Thanks for the heads up Bruce.

    Bill