[ltp] TP 770X battery recharge problems

Octavian Procopiuc linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 19:35:48 -0500 (EST)

> Recently I did a BIOS upgrade on my 770X and it updated the battery
> management software in the system controller (or something like that)
> and now I notice that battery charging behavior is different - the
> machine won't charge the battery as long as it has 95% or more charge.

This is actually the feature that's enhancing the battery life. The way I
understand it is as follows: the battery life is directly proportional to
the charging cycles. A charging cycle is counted even if the battery goes
to 99% by just standing in the computer (this is especially relevant for
the so-called "desktop replacement" laptops, which are plugged in most of
the time, yet the battery is in it; btw, it shouldn't be, this is also
killing the battery). So what they did was to decrease the number of
charging cycles by letting the battery go to 95%
before starting to charge again. But when it does, it should go to 100%, of
course.

 --Tavi.