[ltp] HD upgrade for 365X

Kirk Turner-Rustin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 08:54:59 -0500

Jim:

At this page:

http://www.thinkpads.com/largeHDD560.htm

Scott Dixon describes how he set up a large (12GB in his case) IBM
TravelStar HDD for dual boot on a ThinkPad with a BIOS limitation of
8.4GB. _If_ the TP 365X BIOS doesn't support the 6.0GB drive (I think it
does), you might be able to use Scott's info to get it working anyhow.
Also check 365X HDD replacement prices on www.thinkpads.com (cheaper than
prices I sent to you earlier).

On Thursday 08 February 2001 07:32 pm, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm sure this has been addressed in some fashion (I checked the archives
> to no avail) but I'll ask anyway. I've got a 365X with a 2.1GB hard
> drive, and I'd like to change out to a larger disk (4GB to 6 GB). My
> concern is with the BIOS. I run a dual boot with Win95, and would like
> to expand my Win partition on the new drive to 2GB with the rest for
> Linux (currently Slack 7.0, 2.2.13 kernel, but I suppose that doesn't
> matter).
>
> My question is this: how can I know if the BIOS will fully support the
> larger hard drive? Or will I have to play partitioning games either way?
> The BIOS is the latest for this machine, version 97H4097 dated 06/04/98.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Jim

Kirk Turner-Rustin
Programmer/Analyst