[ltp] New Mwave/ACP modem driver release -- Now as Open Source!

Keith Frechette linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:57:36 -0500

--=_alternative 0078B355852569F1_=

> One question to the IBM-guys on the list: did - and if so to what extend
> - Bill Mair's petiton had any influence on the decision?

Bill is just an insignificant little piss-ant, and his silly little list
had no bearing whatsoever on this matter. :-)

(Gee, did I say that out loud?)

Just kidding, of course. (Ok, Bill, I expect my phone will ring in 5 - 4 -
3 - 2 - 1....)

Actually, Bill's petition did fuel the fire, in general, for Mwave
support. Combined with similar requests from other sources, it became
clear to IBM's Linux Technology Center that creating an Mwave driver, and
then open-sourcing it, was the right thing to do, provided that the legal
hurdles could be overcome.

I don't intend to speak for the LTC, so I'll let Mike Sullivan add his
comments, if he's so inclined.

-- Keith

Keith Frechette
Linux Development Lead, Mobile Computing Options and Software Development
IBM Research Triangle Park, North Carolina
kfrechet@us.ibm.com / 919-543-3761 / TieLine:441-3761

--=_alternative 0078B355852569F1_=

&gt; - Bill Mair's petiton had any influence on the decision?</tt></font>
</tt></font>
Keith Frechette<br>
Linux Development Lead, Mobile Computing Options and Software Development<br>
IBM Research Triangle Park, North Carolina<br>
kfrechet@us.ibm.com / 919-543-3761 / TieLine:441-3761<br>
--=_alternative 0078B355852569F1_=--