[ltp] Re: Hard drive messages on syslog

tom linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 17:26:10 -0500

whoa..hey!

back up a second.
there's two things you have mentioned here that I've been seeking
for some time.

Please, expend on the following:
use of 'noprobe' for /dev/hdc in LILO.
autotune?  What is this and where do I find more about it?
Are these 2.2.18 features?
Is it all in some lilo doc that I haven't found yet?

Immanuel Derks wrote:

> Hi Mr Sen,
>
> I actually set it to "n" which, according to the Config.help is contrary
> to the expected behaviour, sorry about that.
> So I think this was probably not the solution to the problem, rather
> then setting a "noprobe" on hdc for the cdrom in /etc/lilo.conf at the
> same time. Just booted wth the append commented out and I got the status
> error again. So that IS a conformation :)
>
> I got a hdaprm setting like:
>
> /sbin/hdparm -c1 -d1 -u1 -m16 -X66 -k1 /dev/hda
>
> with fine results en no errors:
>
> /dev/hda:
>  Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.90 seconds =142.22 MB/sec
>  Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  3.71 seconds = 17.25 MB/sec
>  multcount    = 16 (on)
>  I/O support  =  1 (32-bit)
>  unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
>  using_dma    =  1 (on)
>  keepsettings =  1 (on)
>  nowerr       =  0 (off)
>  readonly     =  0 (off)
>  readahead    =  8 (on)
>  geometry     = 4134/240/63, sectors = 62506080, start = 0
>
>  Model=IBM-DJSA-232, FwRev=JS8IAD1A, SerialNo=48YBWLD8413
>  Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
>  RawCHS=16383/15/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=4
>  BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=1874kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
>  CurCHS=16383/15/63, CurSects=15481935, LBA=yes, LBAsects=62506080
>  IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
>  PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
>  DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 *udma2 udma3 udma4
>
> Regards,
> Immanuel Derks
>
> "D. Sen" wrote:
> >
> > Hi Immanuel,
> >
> > Just confirming....did you set "CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE" to "y" or to "n" in the
> > kernel options (to get rid of the status errors)?
> >
> > Regards,
> > DS
> >
> > Immanuel Derks wrote:
> >
> > > DS,
> > >
> > > That is confirmed; I got rid of the status errors on my TP21/32G drive
> > > setting multimode off in the 2.4.1 kernel options.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Immanuel Derks

> > > The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
> > > http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/tp_mailing.html
> >
> > --
> > D. Sen, Room E167
> > AT&T Labs-Research
> > Shannon Laboratory
> > 180 Park Ave.
> > Florham Park NJ 07932-0971
> > Ph: 973-360-8546
> > http://www.research.att.com/~dsen

> > The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
> > http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/tp_mailing.html

  5:24pm  up 6 days, 23:32,  1 user,  load average: 1.28, 1.43,
1.60