[ltp] Dual Boot Linux Win2k on A21p

Brendan Byrne linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 13:33:15 +1100

I won't laugh, someone else showed disk manager to me.

Start/Settings/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management is
where to find it. I am not sure that it can shrink volumes but it can be
used to create and delete all but C:\.
I choose Redhat because it was there. I couldn't find any IBM documents that
said Caldera was better supported for A21p than other variations.
There is nothing unsafe about using fdisk, it is clean and allows a
custom/fresh install of Win2k as well. It saved me having to buy Partition
Magic for NTFS. After Win2k is loaded you can use either your favourite
linux install to create the other partitions or the Win2k Disk manager to
create a FAT filesystem (for access from both Win and Linux) before you
install linux, then just use the defaults for your linux install.

Regards,
Brendan

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-linux-thinkpad@bm-soft.com
[mailto:owner-linux-thinkpad@bm-soft.com]On Behalf Of sylme
Sent: Wednesday, 14 February 2001 2:32 AM
To: Linux-TP
Subject: [ltp] Dual Boot Linux Win2k on A21p

Thanks to all who answered.

I have a few more questions :
- This one is going to start a few laughs : I have no idea what the "Windows
disk manager" is, or where to find it.

- IBM preloads some of its recent models with Caldera 2.4. How come none of
the people who answered my query used it ? One would think IBM chose the
Caldera distrib because it's the best, right ?

- I've been told Caldera uses a Mandrake-like install where a small utility
allows for the repartitioning of the HDD "on the fly." From what I remember,
it was some kind of limited Partition Magic. That sounds cool but I'm not
sure this would work under 2k (the person who mentioned that to me uses
Win98 and I know only PM 6.0 will work for 2k). If it does work, wouldn't it
be much simpler and safer than using "Windows disk manager" or Fdisk ?

Well, thanks again for any info/pointers.

sylvestre