[ltp] Serial/PCMCIA problems with TP600E

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 23:20:00 +0000 (GMT)

--- Tom Grydeland <Tom.Grydeland@phys.uit.no> wrote:
> Now that drivers are available, I would like to be able to use all of
> the following (although not at the same time, I want to switch between
> them without rebooting):
>     * The built-in serial port
>     * The IR port
>     * The built-in modem
> I'm not asking too much, am I?

No, all of these should work under Linux.  I have used both
the serial port and the IR port, though not at the same time.
If you don't need to use them both at the same time, I would
recommend enabling only one of them at a time.  Then you can
use the same ioports and irq for both.

I have been having trouble connecting to my ISP using
the modem driver, but others may be having more success.

> I have gone through the various devices in PS2.EXE and the following
> options are set:
>
> Serial-A (built-in serial port): enabled COM1
>     I/O:	0x3f8
>     IRQ:	4
> IR: enabled
>     ADD:	<empty>

  Hmm I wonder what "ADD" means.  I forget.

>     DMA:	3
>     I/O:	0x3e8
>     IRQ:	7
> PARAllel port: disabled
>     Add:	1
>     Mode:	Bi
>     DMA:	Disabled
>     IRQ:	Disabled (7)
>
> IMODEM: Enabled
>     IRQ:	10 3
>     DSPADD:	0x130
>     IMODEMADD:	0x2f8

If you use the Mwave/ACP modem then another serial
device, probably /dev/ttyS1, will appear at this address
using irq 3.  You will see the "mwave_3780i" device using
ioports at 0x130.

>     DMA:	7

I read somewhere that the Mwave/ACP modem driver doesn't
actually use a DMA channel.

> AUdio:
>     Addr:	530
>     IRQ:	5
>     SBaddr:	220
>     DMA:	0 1
>
> MIDI:
>     ADDr:	330
>     IRQ:	9

Looks okay.  If you aren't using the MIDI sequencer then I'd
recommend disabling it using PS2.EXE to free up this irq.

> In addition, IRQ 11 is assigned to the PCI bus and IRQ 15 to the UltraBay.

Looks okay.

> Sound works great (even the MIDI synthesizer), although on boot I get the
> message
> ad1848: Interrupt test failed (IRQ5)
> which doesn't seem to make any difference.

I have never got this message.  It's worrisome.

Continued in next message....