[ltp] Serial/PCMCIA problems with TP600E

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 23:40:10 +0000 (GMT)

... continuing ...
(it turns out that the "message truncated" was produced by
Yahoo web mail's reply includer.)  ...

> My PC-card modem is a 3Com 3CCM156 Global Modem.  If I insert it without
> further ado, the following messages appear in the log:
> ------------------------------
> cardmgr[599]: initializing socket 0
> cardmgr[599]: socket 0: 3Com 3CCM156 56K Global Modem
> cardmgr[599]: executing: 'modprobe serial_cs'
> kernel: serial_cs: RequestIRQ: Resource in use
> kernel: register_serial(): autoconfig failed
> kernel: serial_cs: register_serial() at 0x02f8, irq 0 failed
> cardmgr[599]: get dev info on socket 0 failed: Resource
temporarilyunavailable
> ------------------------------
>
> Ejecting the ethernet card and reinserting the modem card:
>
> ------------------------------
> cardmgr[599]: initializing socket 1
> cardmgr[599]: socket 1: 3Com 3CCM156 56K Global Modem
> cardmgr[599]: executing: 'modprobe serial_cs'
> kernel: register_serial(): autoconfig failed
> kernel: serial_cs: register_serial() at 0x02f8, irq 7 failed
> cardmgr[599]: get dev info on socket 1 failed: Resource temporarily
unavailable
> ------------------------------
> I don't understand this -- ioport 0x2f8 is not used (according to
> /proc/ioports) and neither is IRQ 7.

irq 7 is excluded in your config.opts file, so
pcmcia cardmgr won't use it.

> When I now try to disable both serial ports:
>
> ------------------------------
> # tpctl --rs1=dis --rs2=dis
> # setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
> # setserial /dev/ttyS2 uart none
> ------------------------------
>
> and reinsert the modem card, the system hangs completely (no reaction to
> mouse or keyboard), and I have to reset the system.  The following lines
> appear in the log before the system hangs:
> ------------------------------
> cardmgr[599]: initializing socket 1
> cardmgr[599]: socket 1: 3Com 3CCM156 56K Global Modem
> cardmgr[599]: executing: 'modprobe serial_cs'
> ------------------------------

Hmm.  A hang like this is probably due to some driver
probing for interrupts and ending up waiting forever
for an interrupt.  This may be a bug in the pcmcia
serial driver (serial_cs).

> I have made several attempts, and invariably the result is either
> "Resource temporarily unavailable" or (when disabling the serial ports) a
> complete freeze.  I have tried allowing the pcmcia system to use some of
> the other interrupts (3, 4), but the result is always the same.

You need to free up an interrupt for your pcmcia card.
This means freeing it up physically (using PS2.EXE or tpctl)
and freeing it "so far as the kernel knows" (using setserial)
and freeing it "so far as the pcmcia cardmgr knows" (by
removing 'exclude irq x' from /etc/pcmcia/config.opts).

> I haven't tried as much with the MWAVE drivers, but so far the results are
> very similar to the ones for the PC-card modem.  With enabled serial
> ports, I cannot initialise the mwave modem -- with disabled ports, the
> system hangs.

It is a bit surprising that you can't initialize the Mwave modem,
since irqs 10 and 3 and the relevant ioports are all free.
However, I think I once had the same problem and solved it
by using PS2.EXE to disable the IR port.

> (as an aside, with all these reboots, I've noticed that when booting, I
> get 50 lines as follows which don't appear in the dmesg log:
>
> can't locate module lo:0
> can't locate module lo:1
> :
> :
> can't locate module lo:49
>
> which are annoying, but appear to be harmless.)

When I was running RedHat I once had this problem.
Now I forget how I fixed it.  :(

> I hope some of you can see what silly mistake I've made in the above.
>
> Thanks in advance for all help!

Best of luck.

Thomas