[ltp] Serial/PCMCIA problems with TP600E

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 01:15:03 +0000 (GMT)

--- I <jdthood2@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Okay, I just checked.  On my system PS2.EXE does not allow
> you to set IR ioports and irqs independently, but invites you
> to select an "ADDress" from 1 to 4 corresponding to DOS
> COM ports COM1 through COM4.  COM1 is 0x3f8 irq4,
> COM2 at 0x2f8 irq3, COM3 at 0x3e8 irq4, COM4 at 0x2e8 irq3.
> This means that using PS2.EXE you can only set the IR
> device to use irq3 or irq4.  Is the output you give above
> actually from PS2.EXE?  If so then your version of the
> program is different from mine.  Perhaps the 600E is
> different from the 600 in this respect.

I checked again and I see that Windows gives the user a bit
more flexibility in controlling resources than PS2.EXE does.
In Windows Settings|Control Panel|System once can set the
IR interface to use IRQ 5 as well as 3 and 4.  The IBM
Technical Reference confirms this.  I don't have a complete
list of irq "compatibility" for all devices handy though.
I have posted the choices available under PS2.EXE on my site
in the "resources" section:
    http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm#secres

Thomas