[ltp] Serial/PCMCIA problems with TP600E

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 17:15:04 +0000 (GMT)

--- Tom Grydeland <Tom.Grydeland@phys.uit.no> wrote:

> This is not *output* from PS2.EXE, but it is transcribed from this
> output.  For the IR-port, the allowable interrupts were 3, 4, 5 and 7.

Note that tpctl places fewer restrictions than
PS2.EXE on what interrupts you can use.  The question
is, though, Which ones actually work?  You can select
irq6 with tpctl but I don't think you can actually use
irq6 for the serial port.

> Having the MIDI player work for the first time was fun, though.  I never
> use the parallel port, so I think I'll rather move it to IRQ 7.

I have managed to load the ALSA drivers with MIDI support
using irq7.  I haven't been able to get the sequencer to
play sounds yet though.  :(

> > You might like to compare your [PCMCIA config.opts] file with the one
> >    http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/config.opts
>
> Why is the 'exclude irq 10' line commented out in that file?

Because the Mwave modem is actually useless to me right now.
The modem won't connect to my ISP.  So I was using irq10
for a second PCMCIA card.

> I thought it should be possible to switch between the devices without
> going through PS2.EXE every time.

You can use tpctl too in most cases.  The problem with tpctl
is that it can only reconfigure the hardware after the
kernel has booted.  PS2.EXE changes the settings that the BIOS
programs into the hardware before the OS boots.

> In this case, the parallel port is disabled by PS2, the parport drivers,
> although compiled as modules, are not loaded into the kernel and I don't
> see what else should be wanting to use IRQ 7.
>
> But I'll try to have MIDI use IRQ 7 and leave IRQ 9 for the PC-card
> instead.  I'll report what happened.

This is a good idea.

Note that you can enable the parallel port but disable the use of
interrupts.  The parport driver will transfer data using a polling
algorithm.

Thomas