[ltp] Serial/PCMCIA problems with TP600E

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 00:04:17 +0000 (GMT)

--- Tom Grydeland <Tom.Grydeland@phys.uit.no> wrote:

>                                             IRQ Level
>                                             3 4 5   7 9 10 11 15
> MIDI port (5, 7, 9, 10, 11 or 15)   :                 O

> Output of 'PS2 ? MIDI':
> Command Syntax : PS2  MIDIport  Enable|Disable
>                                 ADDress           300|310|320|330
>                                 IRQ               5|7|9|10|11|15
> Current State  : Enable
> When "Enable" is selected, following parameter will be effective:
>      ADDress   : 330
>      IRQ       : 7
> Description    : Use this parameter to set up the MIDI function.

There's a contradiction here.

> Now I can no longer autoconfig /dev/ttyS2 (the IR port) through
> setserial, even after enabling it with tpctl
>
> # tpctl --rs2=en --rs2=0x3e8 --rs2=irq4
> tpctl: serial port 2 has been enabled
> tpctl: serial port 2 interrupt has been set to IRQ4
> tpctl: serial port 2 base address has been set to 0x3e8
> resource state:                                       current
>    serial port 2:                                     enable  0x3e8 IRQ4
> # setserial /dev/ttyS2 autoconfig
> # setserial /dev/ttyS2
> /dev/ttyS2, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4

I have found that the serial ports can't actually be detected
by Linux at every possible i/o address.  You might try using
different combinations of i/o addresses and irqs.

One thing you should do too is disable serial cable port #1 before
enabling serial infrared port #2.

Thomas