[ltp] Suggestions for thinkpad repair

Harry Mangalam linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 19:08:34 -0800

Thanks Rob,

I phoned IBM to ask for suggestion and they were nice enought to tell me that my TP was STILL under warranty (!) and then did what you described.  It's gone to that big repair depot in the sky and
should return by end of week.  If everything turns out to be covered, I'll be one very happy camper.

By the way, it looks like there was something terminal about my TP's charging /battery regulation system.  It wouldn't boot without a battery in and not even new batteries could be charged.

hjm

Rob Mayoff wrote:

> I sent my 770Z to IBM after I chipped the screen by dropping a
> screwdriver on it. (Repair cost: ~$970.) They will overnight you a
> shipping box to send it to them in. I think it took about 4 days to get
> mine back.  I didn't send them the hard drive; I kept it and put it in
> another computer using a $10 adapter.
>
> > That said, can anyone suggest a thinkpad 770X repair place with whom they've had decent success and not too much frustration?  OR is IBM the only place to go?
> >
> > I'm in the S.Calif area if there's one local, if it makes a difference..

Cheers,
Harry

Harry J Mangalam -- (949) 856 2847 (v&f) -- hjm@ncgr.org || mangalam@home.com