[ltp] Re: hw configuration issues ˇPS2.EXE, adiós!

Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:44:21 -0800 (PST)

On 21-Feb-01 Thomas Hood wrote:

>> --- Pnp-bios must be enabled in the "Easy-Setup" [I never
>> understood that stupid name for this reduced-feature setup].
>> This means, that the so called "Quick-boot" [another
>> braindamaged name] feature under "Config" must be enabled.
>
> So you're saying that "Quick-boot" means "enable p-n-p BIOS"?
> I would never have guessed!

I wouldn't have either. I discovered this by chance: I had
pnp_bios support enabled in my pcmcia package. One day, I
had this "Quick-boot" enabled and noted that pcmcia_core
didn't use certain irqs anymore. This drew my attention
to the pnp_bios issue and I started playing with lspnp/setpnp.

irq 7:

  I have the IR port configured to io=0x2e8 / irq=3. After
  booting this configuration, I can do

     setpnp -b 0x13 irq 7
     setserial /dev/ttyS3 irq 7
     irattach /dev/ttyS3 -s

  and I am able to talk to my nokia cellphone (The irport
  and nsc-ircc drivers also work).

interrupt sharing:

  I have the serial port configured to io=0x2f8 irq3 (ttyS1)
  and the IR port to io=0x2e8 irq=3 (ttyS3) - interrupt sharing
  for the serial driver is enabled in the kernel.
  If I exclusively use the serial driver on irq3 (IR port _must_
  use irattach / serial irtty line discipline), I can
  simultaneously talk to my nokia phone and hotsync my palm-pilot
  - both are using irq 3.

  Unfortunately, at the moment it's not possible to use irq
  sharing for pcmcia modems :-( :-( because the pcmcia driver
  serial_cs.c does not allow for sharing interrupts (although
  the underlying serial.c would be capable of doing so).

  With some hacking, it should be possible to share 1 irq for
  the serial port, the IR port (using irtty) and a pcmcia modem.

Till.