[ltp] Some experiences with serial ports, internal modem and IR port on TP600E.

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 21:07:10 +0000 (GMT)

--- Tom Grydeland <Tom.Grydeland@phys.uit.no> wrote:
>     DB9:		COM1	/dev/ttyS0	0x03f8	IRQ 4
>     MWAVE/UART:	COM2	/dev/ttyS1	0x02f8	IRQ 3
>     IR:		COM3	/dev/ttyS2	0x03e8	IRQ 4 (DMA 3)

[...]

> + When booting, or loading the serial modem, the lines appearing in the
>   log are one of:
>
>     kernel: ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
>     kernel: ttyS02 at 0x03e8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
>
>     kernel: ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
>     kernel: ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

Hmm.  Do you have any explanation for this variation?

> + As far as I've been able to go with the IR port:
>   tpctl --rs1=dis --rs2=irq4 --rs2=en
>   setpnp 13 irq 4

You might want to do
    setpnp -b 13 on
    setpnp 13 on
    setpnp -b 13 irq 4
    setpnp 13 irq 4

I don't know how redundant that would be, but it doesn't
hurt to make sure.

You can check whether the current configuration was changed
by using "tpctl --rx".

>   Setting the Palm to serial via IR, I try to sync
>     pilot-xfer -p /dev/ircomm0 -l
>   but none of the devices appear to see each other.  irdaping and irdadump
>   do not produce any output, but I might be using these tools incorrectly.

Get two ThinkPads together and run minicom on their
serial IR ports.  You should be able to send characters
back and forth between the terminals.  Make sure that the
baud rates, etc., are the same.

> + I had added the mwaved startup script to runlevels 3 and 5, but when I
>   rebooted, the system hung upon starting mwaved.

There must be an interrupt conflict.  Perhaps the PnP BIOS
is setting up the IR interface to use IRQ3 when it finds that
the serial cable interface is using IRQ4; then the  mwavedd.o
module can't use IRQ3.

> I am using kernel 2.2.18 with no patches.  Nothing special in the
> configuration.  I have enabled all of the APM stuff except that
> CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set.  Serial support compiled as a
> module.

If you are having problems with serial devices then I would
recommend trying compiling the kernel with integral serial
driver.

Thomas