[ltp] Suggestions for thinkpad repair

Harry Mangalam linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 17:17:32 -0800

A follow-up on the dying 770X saga.

I had purchased the 770X as a refurb with a 90 day waranty & an extended 1 year warranty on top of that. Those had expired (and the 1 year extended war. wasn't needed as it turns out - see below).

However.  IBM honored the original warranty, IN FULL!  Even the battery, which was clearly out of warranty. I have nothing but good things to say about their service.
Whewn i called to find out where they would rec to send it for repair, they asked for the serial number and told me that it was still under warranty.  They shippedout a special box to ship it in, I
sent it out the next day (so one days delay was MY fault), an dthen called for Airborne to pick it up.
7 days from my original call, it was back in my hands, with new motherboard, CPU, BIOS AND battery.  Aside from a fright when I tried to boot up with a DIMM that wasn't seated correctly (my fault),
it's perfect.  The replacements corrected a funny boot-when-warm problem and the battery life is back to being phemonenal (est 3.5 hrs with a full charge).

So sometimes companies surprise you.  Compared to some colleagues' experiences with misbehaving Powerbooks, this was mind-boggling to me.

Way to go, IBM!

Harry (who is generally pretty cranky and hard-to-please)